Anyone who wishes to obtain aids and/or have adaptations arranged, such as bath rails and seats, extra stair rails or kitchen aids can request an Occupational Therapy assessment by telephoning the St Helens Council Contact Centre on 01744 676600

The service is provided by St Helens Home Improvement Agency. Following an OT assessment, they will make adaptations or provide equipment which has to be installed. The work will be carried out by the Home Improvement Agency via their Handyperson service. Home Improvement Agency also provide Care and Repair, Affordable Warmth Services too. They can also offer practical help with home maintenance. They will identify what work needs doing and provide a list of approved contractors (Care & Repair Service). The Handyperson scheme will help with small repairs and jobs around the home which will help to prevent accidents in the home. Items such as unblocking sinks, changing light bulbs and fitting grab rails, free of charge, the customer just pays for materials. The Home Improvement Agency is based at the Town Hall in St Helens, either via the contact centre on 01744 676600, or direct to the Home Improvement Agency on 10744 676555.

• ABLEWORLD - Large range of aids & equipment, including stairlifts (& in house engineers), wheelchair/scooter hire. Accredited Community Equipment Dispenser and is a key supplier of mobility and aids-to-living equipment which is prescribed by local NHS staff. Local franchise of national organisation. Open 7 days a week, based in Eccleston Street St Helens Tel: 01744 453 038 web
• AIDS TO LIVING - 0151 426 1239 - Range of equipment, available to try in the showroom. Warrington Road, Prescot

• BLUE BADGE SCHEME - 456789 - The Blue Badge Scheme provides a national arrangement of on-street parking concessions to assist people with severe mobility problems, registered blind people and those with severe disabilities in both arms. If you or the person you care for are temporarily impaired when mobilising you may be able to obtain a Blue Badge on a temporary basis. Application forms are available at the Carer's Centre, our Carer Support Workers can assist anyone with completing the form. Alternatively, telephone St Helens Council Contact Centre, 01744 456789, or complete online

• CARELINE - Careline can be obtained following a Community Care Assessment (see Social Care and Assessments) or privately by referral to the Contact Centre - 01744 676600. It provides peace of mind for people who are at risk in their homes, and their Carers. There is a charge for this service. The service comprises of an installation team as well as a 24-hour monitoring and response service, which runs 365 days per year. The Careline service works via a special alarm unit connected to the telephone line. The alarm can be activated by pressing a button on a remote pendant which is worn around the neck or on a wrist band. The range of the pendant allows use around the house and garden. Additional Assistive Technology sensors are also available. These can include fall detectors, carbon monoxide sensors, epilepsy sensors and property exit sensors. These are automatically activated when they detect an individual may be at risk.

• CARE ABILITY - 451215 - Provide a library of manufacturers & suppliers of disability aids, equipment & vehicles

• CARE AT HOME - 01588 641911 - Service from Hospital Direct, suppliers of manual handling products to the NHS. Catalogue of products to help people remain independent and assist you with moving the person you care for 

• CHANGING PLACE - ‘Changing Place’ Facilities incorporate an adjustable height changing table, overhead ceiling track hoist, a toilet and often a shower. You need your own sling for the hoist, and the facilities are usually accessible using a RADAR key, available at the site. A new facility has opened in Liverpool One and other local facilities are situated at the Trafford Centre, Warrington Bus Station and Walton Hall Gardens in Warrington.


• Adult Continence Promotion Services - 626718 - This service is based at Fingerpost Park Health Centre. It is accessed by completing self referral form. Click here to open form. The person having continence difficulties is asked to attend a clinic, or visited by District Nurses if they are housebound. They will then have an assessment, which will look at ways to improve continence, such as reducing caffeine drinks and monitoring fluid input. If, after these measures there is no way to improve continence, there will be an assessment for the provision of pads. There is no charge for this service.
• Commode Hire - Red Cross - 01925 229740 - £ 20 deposit, £ 5 to purchase pan. They are open Mon, Wed and Fri for collection. Maximum of one month hire. Customers need proof of address when collecting items
• Tena -  - Customers can order goods online. Endorsed by Halton&St.Helens NHS

• CREATE - Registered charity that can provide electrical appliances at low cost to those in most need. Anyone wishing to apply must go through an agency such as the Carers Centre, and must have explored all other options such as the Social Fund. Please contact the Carers Centre to request an application

• DISABLED LIVING CENTRES - Provide free information about products which can increase choices about how to live at home. At Centre's, people can view and try out products. Warrington Centre for Independent Living (01925 240064). Liverpool Disabled Living Centre (0151 296 7742)  Manchester Disabled Living Centre (0870 777 4714)


• British Red Cross - 01925 229740. Operate a medical loan service, whereby items of medical equipment such as wheelchairs, commodes, backrests and bed cradles can be picked up from Newton Le Willows office for a small refundable deposit

• Home Loans Service - 0151 289 6668 - Referral would be required from a District Nurse, Macmillan nurse, Physiotherapist, OT or Social Care, requests can be faxed. Waiting list for wheelchairs at times

• SHOPMOBILITY - 613388 - open Mon to Sat. £ 10 annual fee. Need two forms of ID to hire equipment. Also do long term loan subject to availability. Also sell small aids and equipment such as walking sticks, grabbers and plastic shoe horns, and supply and fit new batteries. Shopmobility St Helens have achieved accreditation to become a Community Equipment dispenser. Any person in receipt of a prescription for small daily living aids (available following assessment with the Local Authority) will be able to dispense their prescription at Shopmobility. Staff will also provide information about Shopmobility schemes in other areas.
• HEALTH AND CARE -  - Recommended by a Carer as a good site for aids and equipment

• INDEPENDENT LIVING - news and information on products for elderly and disabled people and their Carers.

• MEDICALERT FOUNDATION - 0800 581 420 - The only non-profit making, registered charity providing an alert system for people with medical conditions and allergies. They provide bracelets or necklets (known as medicalerts emblems) which are supported by a 24 hour telephone service. A new children's range has wristbands as well.

• NUGENT CARE PARCELS SERVICE - 0151 261 2000 - Provide bedding, crockery, cutlery

• SAFETY EQUIPMENT - This can be provided by Adult Social Care and Health following assessment, but for those who do not wish to have assessment, the same firm can provide it privately. Equipment ranges from keysafe boxes, pressure mats and alert systems.

• SWIMFRIENDS - 01332 842685 - Specialist swimming products for disabled adults and children

• Haydock - 01744 607388/07708 883568
• Moss Bank - 01744 732330
Local projects to support vulnerable families by providing donated household items including furniture, clothing and group meetings. Aim to give people hope and assist them to make a fresh start. Moss Bank sell items every Wednesday with cafe facility. Haydock is open Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. They also have a cafe, and sell items on Thursday. Volunteers run cafe area, and have groups meet there, including Vulnerable Adults day service users

Manual wheelchairs are provided on permanent loan via prescription, therefore the first point of contact is your GP. A referral is made to the NHS Wheelchair service (0151 244 4300) for assessment by a therapist. Electric wheelchairs may also be provided on loan by the NHS, dependant on eligibility criteria. There is also a voucher scheme, which aims to give more choice by providing a voucher towards the cost of a more expensive Wheelchair . The voucher has a value equivalent to that of a standard wheelchair, which can be used by individuals to purchase a chair which is more expensive than that which the NHS think is clinically necessary for the user. Once individuals have their wheelchair, they can contact the Unit directly regarding repairs or upgrades if they feel their wheelchair no longer meets their needs. St Helens Wheelchair Assessment Unit is located at Lowe House HCRC, 103 Crabb Street, St Helens, WA10 2DJ - telephone: 01744 624152

• WHEELCHAIR LOANS - Warrington Independent Living Centre 01925 240064 (free of charge), British Red Cross 01925 229740 (charges apply), Shopmobility 01744 613388 (charges apply), Aides to Living 0151 426 1239 (charges apply)

• WHEELCHAIR REPAIRS - Information from the Wheelchair Assessment Unit - Ross Care carry out all the repairs/ services on wheelchairs obtained via the assessment unit. 0151 653 6000 - they will make arrangements to come out and complete a full service and any repairs or adjustments that need to be made to the wheelchair

• WHEELCHAIR WALKS -   - a website which provides free information on around 40 routes suitable for wheelchair users throughout the UK. Download walk descriptions and OS Maps




© St Helens Carers Centre
Registered Charity No. 1089663   A Limited Company Registered In England No. 4203210